Solar Water Pump
A solar-powered pump is a pump running on electricity generated by photovoltaic panels from collected sunlight. Every solar PV panel generates current by converting solar radiation to electrical energy. The water drawn by solar water pump can be used to supply water as required. It can be stored in tanks from where it is later channelled to fields. The operation of solar powered pumps is more economical mainly due to the lower operation and maintenance costs and has less environmental impact than pumps powered by an internal combustion engine (ICE). Solar pumps are useful where grid electricity is unavailable.
A photovoltaic solar powered pump system has three parts:
- The pump
- The controller
- Solar panels.
HOW DOES SOLAR WATER PUMP WORKS?
- A small series of cells present in solar panel generates electricity from the sunlight. A typical solar-powered pumping system consists of solar panels connected to an electric motor that runs a bore or surface electric pump.
- A solar pumping solution available from your irrigation supplier will typically supply a DC pump that is connected directly to the solar panel and does not require a DC/AC inverter.
- Direct current motors are used for small to medium applications and are suitable for applications such as garden fountains, landscaping, drinking water for livestock, or small irrigation projects.
- In cases where an AC (battery-powered) pump is in place, an inverter is required between the PV panel and the motor to convert from the direct current generated by the solar panel to the alternate current required by the electric pump motor.
- The supported power range of inverters extends and can be used for larger irrigation systems.
- Depending on the application, a solar pumping system may use a water storage tank, which acts like a ‘Water Battery’ during cloudy weather.
Solar PV panels converts sunlight into direct electricity.
These DC (direct current) generated from sunlight move towards electric pump enhancer or an inverter converting DC (direct current) into AC (alternating current).
AC (alternating current) generated from inverter further gets transferred in submersible bore pump motor which moves water upwards with the help of an outlet pipe storing water in the water tank.
FEATURES OF SOLAR WATER PUMP:-
- Easy Installation.
- Maintenance Free.
- Safe And Reliable.
- Controlling Water height As Demand.
- Pollution Free
ADVANTAGES OF SOLAR WATER PUMP:-
- It helps in saving Energy.
- There is no fuel cost - as it uses available free sun light.
- No electricity required.
- Can be operated lifelong.
- It is highly reliable and durable.
- Easy to operate and maintain
- It is also useful for clean, drinking water sanitation and also irrigation.
- It creates wealth for farmers by increasing no of crops.
TYPES OF SOLAR WATER PUMP:-
There are two main types of solar pumps:
1. SURFACE PUMP:-
Surface pumps sit above ground and move water through pipes. These are handy for moving large quantities of water at a slow pace. Surface pumps are commonly found on farms or large irrigation systems where water needs to be moved from a lake or other body to fields or landscaping.
2. SUBMERSIBLE SOLAR WATER PUMP:-
There are also submersible solar water pumps. These units are installed underground, but the solar panels are connected above ground. Submersible pumps are used to move water from inside wells to the surface.